Friday, September 12, 2008

Response to my last Oklahoman LTE

The Oklahoman has printed a response to my last LTE of August 27th. I'm not going to re-post it here - those who wish to read it may do so here (scroll down to "Inseparably interwoven").

I left the following in the comments section:
Paul Blair misquotes me: I did not write that "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness aren't Christian principles and have nothing to do with morality.” I wrote that they have nothing to do with Christian morality. Big difference. I also do not believe that Man is wicked by nature or by definition or that morality consists of doing whatever your heart desires, though I do think people should be legally free to do whatever they want as long as it infringes no one else's rights. Morality requires the use of reason to determine where your best interests lie. It is entirely possible to do this without misusing other people, and that is why I say Man is not wicked. Political freedom is necessary because human beings have to make choices in order to survive.
Rob, Oklahoma City - Sep 12, 2008 8:49 AM
Wish I could have done better but I had just gotten up, though I am rather proud that I was able to make the point that since human beings can survive without hurting others, this means they are not monsters by definition.

I'm not saying that's all there is to it, but it is one piece of evidence.

2 comments:

  1. "since human beings can survive without hurting others, this means they are not monsters by definition."

    That is a great point; something that the mainstream view of ethics. doesn't want you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Renee! Someday I'm going to put together a list of "talking points" for arguments against Original Sin.

    ReplyDelete